Indian comfort food, no doubt. Abounding in flavor and easy and quick to make, aloo gobi should be in everyone’s repertoire.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground chile
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
1 pound potato, diced
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/4 cup water
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup peas, frozen or fresh, shelled
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped, for garnish
1. Warm the oil in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Add cumin and fenugreek, and saute over medium heat, until cumin changes to a darker shade.
2. Add curry powder, coriander, chile powder, and turmeric. Stir well and saute for 2 minutes.
3. Add garlic and ginger and mix well. Immediately add onion, and let cook for 3 minutes.
4. Add potato, salt, and the 1/4 cup water. Mix well. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
5. Add cauliflower and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Cover and cook till potatoes and cauliflower are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the remaining lemon juice if necessary.
6. Add peas and turn off the heat.
7. Garnish with cilantro.
Yield: 6 Servings