Winter comfort, needing only crusty rustic bread for accompaniment.
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 pound mushroom, sliced
1 onion, diced
2 carrot, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon herbs d”Provence
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 cups vegetable stock
1 cup barley
1/2 cup green lentils
1 teaspoon sea salt
1. Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Sauté mushrooms until they give up their liquid, about 10 minutes. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
2. Add carrots, garlic, herbs, and black pepper, and sauté until carrots are soft.
3. Add vegetable stock, and barley. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower flame and simmer for 25 minutes.
4. Add lentils and simmer for another 20 minutes, or until lentils are done.
5. Add sea salt and remove from heat.
Yield: 8 Servings