Essential for Thai Yellow Curry, but that’s just the beginning of its uses. Redolent with lemongrass, galangal, and chiles, a tablespoon will add intense flavor to any sauce–not to mention glorious color.
1 oz fresh turmeric, skinned and chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 oz galangal, chopped
1 oz coriander roots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 oz lemongrass, chopped
1/2 oz red chiles, chopped
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1. Place turmeric, onion, galangal, coriander roots, garlic, and lemongrass in blender. Also add chiles and lime juice.
2. Blend to a puree.
3. Add ground coriander, ground cumin, peppercorns, and sea salt. Blend again.
4. Heat peanut oil in heavy-bottomed sauce pan. Add mixture from blender.
5. Fry paste for 5 minutes or until fragrant.
6. Cool and place in a well-sealed jar. Keep in the refrigerator until needed. Freezes very well.
Yield: 1 1/2 cup